Friday, March 30, 2012

European Championship 2012 - 9th round

After some players retired from the competition there was an odd number of players remaining and I was not paired in the 9th round, so I had another day off. I spent the time with preparation for my remaining two White games, and I also used the time to have a new haircut just for fun. And here I have to stress something: PEOPLE IN PLOVDIV DON’T SPEAK ANY FOREIGN LANGUAGES.

Waitresses generally speak only the very very basic: beer, chicken, money or not even that. Sometimes asking "dark beer" is already too complicated. If we ask them something else or just want some information they don’t understand. I tried French and Serbian too but in vain. Of course neither the hairdresser spoke any languages. Then I went to a wine store and the young salesperson spoke only Bulgarian. Of course the situation was the same in Rila, but OK, that’s the countryside.

Jozsef won his first game against an Israeli player Yonatan Levine – it was a classical French Advance variation where Black was suffering a lot and blundered in the end. Today I’m paired with the same player and again he will be Black… ehh.

Preparation at home
Me preparing

The ethnographic museum in the old town


No comments: